Everyone with known Norwegian ancestry should join our national DNA project.
By joining you contribute to our knowledge about haplogroup distribution in Norway. The statistics can only show results from members, so it is essential that as many as possible of the testers with a Norwegian ancestry join.
Our lists of Y- and mtDNA results are an important source for Norwegian genealogy research. The lists show names, years and place for the earliest known direct ancestors (no living people) together with the haplogroup and subgroup result. This will assist people trying to confirm their direct paternal and maternal lines.
The Norway DNA Project is thus a large dugnad for Norwegian genealogists to gather as much information as possible about the direct paternal and maternal ancestors!
The Project Aims are:
- spread knowledge about DNA-testing as a genealogical method
- show result lists for Y-DNA and mtDNA of Norwegian direct lines: DNA-results as genealogical source
- gather all Norwegian testers as members
- map haplogroup distribution in Norway
- assist in finding connections between genealogy and DNA-testing
Project administrators can also be of help with interpretation of results and giving advice both for further genealogy work and what testing would be most useful as next step.
We collaborate with Norway’s two largest genealogy associations: DIS-Norge and Norsk Slektshistorisk Forening, through articles, presentations and events.
Who could and should join?
- people with a Norwegian direct paternal line and a Y-DNA test
- people with a Norwegian direct maternal line and an mtDNA-test
- people with known Norwegian ancestry within 10-12 generations and a Family Finder test
Everyone with known Norwegian ancestry having tested through FTDNA or Genographic is encouraged to join.
Join the Norway Project
Have you already got a test and kit number?
- Log in
- Go to Projects > Join
- Write “Norway” in the project search field (scroll down past any suggestions, they are not useful)
- Click the link that shows Norway DNA
- Click Join at the bottom of the page
If you have not yet ordered a test, remember to order directly from the Norway Project here.
The Project Consists of:
- volunteer administrators handling the DNA-tests and results within FamilyTreeDNAs system and database
- everyone who has tested and joined as our members
- open result lists for Y-DNA – tested direct paternal lines in Norway
- open result lists for mtDNA – tested direct maternal lines in Norway
- The Norway DNA Project’s own website with articles, background information and links